DWI/DUI/OWI Or OUIL – Suspended Driver’s License – Administrative Hearings
Drunk driving charges are very serious. A conviction can lead to a suspended license, increased insurance rates and even jail time. You want an experienced lawyer on your side who can help you make the right decisions about your defense strategy, including ways to minimize the impact of any type of criminal charge.
In Michigan, there are several types of drunk driving charges. These include: driving under the influence (DUI), driving while intoxicated (DWI), operating while impaired (OWI), operating while visibly impaired (OWVI) and operating under the influence of intoxicating liquor (OUIL).
At the Law Office of Mark R. Mitchell, P.C., we defend clients against Michigan DUI charges. With more than 25 years of legal experience, our founding attorney, Mark Mitchell, knows how to investigate these cases, finding weaknesses in the prosecution’s case and errors committed by police officers. When you hire our office to represent you, we will listen closely as you explain what happened, and then honestly explain what can be done to protect your rights.
Understanding Michigan DUI Laws
Like most states, Michigan has a complex set of laws concerning drunk driving. We thoroughly understand these laws, and we will work within them to have your charges reduced or dropped whenever possible. The basic DWI-related charges include:
- DUI/DWI: If you were pulled over and your blood alcohol content was .08 or higher, you will be charged with a DUI/DWI.
- Super DUI/DWI: If your blood alcohol content is .17 or higher, you will face even steeper potential consequences, including significant jail time. This is known as super drunk driving.
- DUI/DWI involving drugs (OWI): Driving under the influence of narcotics can be confirmed by a blood test and will result in an OWI.
- Test refusal: If you refuse to take a PBT test, Breathalyzer test or blood test, you will face civil or criminal charges and an automatic driver’s license suspension.
- Aggravated DUI/DWI: Serious charges such as vehicular assault or endangerment will dramatically increase the consequences of your drunk driving charge.
- Multiple offenses: Each time you are charged with drinking and driving, the consequences become more severe.
Whatever drunk driving charge you face, we will work hard to protect your rights. We will fight the criminal charges and do all we can to help you get your driver’s license restored.
Blood, Breath And Field Sobriety Tests
If you are pulled over for drunk driving, you will most likely be asked to take a PBT test, Breathalyzer test, blood test or field sobriety test. These tests often lead to mistakes. These mistakes can be the foundation of a solid criminal defense. The breath test device may have been faulty, the police may not have followed proper procedures at the time of the arrest or the field sobriety test may not have been administered the right way. We will thoroughly investigate these possibilities and others as we build your case.
Contact A Michigan Criminal Defense Attorney
If you have been arrested or charged with DUI, it is important to seek the advice of an attorney as soon as possible. To schedule a meeting with Mark Mitchell, call 231-775-7300. You can also contact us online.