Mark R. Mitchell Attorney at Law Cadillac Michigan Criminal Defense and Civil Law

Cadillac Grandparents’ Rights Lawyer


Helping Grandparents Understand And Protect Their Rights

If you are concerned about the well-being of your grandchildren or simply wish to be able to spend more time with them, it may be possible to ask a family court for grandparenting time. An experienced attorney can help you understand your options and can help you make the right choices to protect your grandchildren.

At the Law Office of Mark R. Mitchell, P.C., we have assisted grandparents with custody and visitation issues for more than 25 years. Cadillac grandparents’ rights lawyer Mark Mitchell, our founding attorney, is passionate about family law issues, especially those involving children. We understand how stressful it can be when you feel that your grandchildren are not being properly cared for. When you come to us, we will listen to your concerns and do our best to solve the problem.

To schedule a consultation to discuss child custody, grandparents’ rights or any other family law issue, please call 231-775-7300. You can also contact us online.

When Can You Request Grandparenting Time?

In Michigan, grandparents do not typically have an absolute right to parenting time. There are, however, a number of situations where grandparents can seek time. These include:

  • When the parents are divorced or separated, or they are in the process of divorcing or separating
  • If one of the child’s parents is deceased
  • The parents were never married and are not living in the same house, and paternity is established
  • Legal custody has been given to someone other than a parent
  • The grandparent provided an established custodial environment during the prior year

Under Michigan law, it is presumed that a fit parent can deny grandparenting time without harming the child. It can be difficult for a grandparent to overcome this presumption. A grandparent has to prove that the grandchildren will suffer physical, psychological or emotional harm if not allowed to spend time with them. When you come to us, we will give you an honest assessment of your case. If the case is weak, we will tell you, though it may be difficult to hear.

We can also explore the possibility of a limited guardianship placement or even a permanent placement of the grandchildren, which would give you the grandparenting time you desire. These measures are rare, and we will thoroughly explain them to you when you visit us.

Contact A Michigan Child Custody Attorney

If you have questions or concerns about custody arrangements for your grandchildren, we are ready to help you explore your options. To schedule a consultation, please call 231-775-7300. You can also send us an email.

Discover Master Card Visa American Express

Meet Attorney

Mark Mitchell

An established attorney with over
25 years’ experience and a proven track record.

Contact An Experienced Lawyer

We are here to help. To schedule a consultation to discuss your specific situation, call 231-775-7300. You can also contact us by using this form.

Fields marked with an * are required

I Have Read The Disclaimer(Required)